Bygone Times

Tower Tour – Colne Parish Church

Tower Tour – Colne Parish Church St. Bartholomew’s Church in Colne, commonly known as Colne Parish Church, sometimes offers tours of their lovely church tower.  These tours are quite infrequent, but often coincide with major […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op: Overview

Colne & District Co-Operative Society – Overview The first store run on a co-operative basis in Colne appears to have begun about 1848 in what was the Chartist news room in Parliament Street.  However, this […]

Bygone Times

Old Duke Inn (Waterside)

Old Duke Inn – Waterside The “Duke of William” was the oldest Waterside pub. It was built in 1709 and was located at No. 6 Mill Green, Waterside. The inn changed its name in 1745 […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op: Langroyd Road

Colne & District Co-Operative Society: Langroyd Road Then The Colne & District Co-operative on Langroyd Road store featured a Grocery and a Butchering section.  Note the old cast iron gas lamp in the foreground of […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-op: Bakery & Abattoir

Colne & District Co-op: Bakery & Abattoir The Colne & District Co-operative Bakery, abattoir (slaughterhouse) were situated on Stanley Street, Colne. (As well as their pork butchering dept., joinery & undertaking dept. and dairy dept.). Co-op […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op: Waterside

Colne & District Co-operative Society: Waterside The first store run on a co-operative basis in Colne appears to have begun about 1848 in what was the Chartist news room in Parliament Street.  However, this business […]

Bygone Times

Colne & Trawden Model Building Society

Colne & Trawden Model Building Society: Prospectus Whilst researching material related to  the Colne & District Co-op, we came across an interesting leaflet.  In fact, it was a prospectus for the Colne &  Trawden Model […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op – Alkincoats Road

Colne & District Co-Op – Alkincoats Road Then: Colne & District Co-operative branch at Alkincoats Road consisted of a grocery and a butchering department.   Now: As of Nov 2019, this building is now being […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op – Shackleton Hall

Colne Co-Op – Co-operative Hall (now Shackleton Hall) Then: When built, the ‘Central Premises’ on Church Street was originally known as the Co-operative Hall. The store(s) opened for business on 17 Apr 1889, but the […]

Bygone Times

Colne Co-Op – Norway House

Colne Co-Op – “New Central Premises” (Norway House, Albert Road) Then: Norway house is located on Albert Road, just above Colne Muni and is a significant building. It terms of the Co-op, it was home […]