Principal Amanda Melton has been appointed to a new UK-wide independent commission launched to set out a new vision for colleges in the future.
The Independent Commission on the College of the Future has been created to develop a blueprint for colleges in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
It will be chaired by Sir Ian Diamond who previously led a review which saw the overhaul of Higher Education funding in Wales and the introduction of maintenance grants to cover costs for full-time and part-time students.
The commission also features prominent names from industry, education, the media and the trade union movement, as well as national and international experts from across the four nations of the UK.
From demographic change, to technological revolution, from the changing demands of the labour market, to evolving attitudes and expectations of individuals – there are seismic shifts happening across the UK and colleges have a critical role to play in meeting these challenges.
The Independent Commission on the College of the Future is supported by key organisations from across the FE and skills sector, including the Association of Colleges, Colleges Scotland, Colleges Wales, the colleges in Northern Ireland, City & Guilds, the Further Education Trust for Leadership (FETL), Jisc, NCFE, NOCN and Pearson.
“It is essential to take full advantage of the transformational opportunities inherent in Further Education in our current turbulent economy and skills environment.
Understanding and clarifying the role of colleges within a wider skills and education system will ensure appropriate investment to enable the country to compete globally at a time when the world of work is changing both socially and technically.
I am very pleased to be able to contribute to this important debate with leaders from a broad spectrum of skills and employment settings. I am optimistic that the outcome of the commission will be an informed rationale for investment in this transformational sector.”
Full Commissioner team
- Sir Ian Diamond (Chair) – Chair, Edinburgh College Management Board
- Peter Cheese – Chief Executive, CIPD
- Audrey Cumberford MBE FRSE – Principal and Chief Executive, Edinburgh College
- Dr Stephen Farry – Former Minister for Employment and Learning, Northern Ireland
- Matthew Fell – Chief UK Policy Director, CBI
- Lesley Giles – Director, Work Foundation
- Professor Ellen Hazelkorn – BH Associates
- Rob Humphreys CBE FLSW – Council member, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- David Jones OBE DL – Chief Executive, Coleg Cambria
- Professor Ewart Keep – Director, SKOPE, Oxford University
- Shakira Martin – President, NUS
- Marie-Thérèse McGivern – Principal and Chief Executive, Belfast Metropolitan College
- Steph McGovern – BBC Broadcaster
- Amanda Melton – Principal and Chief Executive, Nelson and Colne College
- Paul Nowak – Deputy General Secretary, TUC
- Nora Senior CBE – Chair, Weber Shandwick, and Chair of Scottish Government’s Enterprise and Skills Board
Like our work? Support us!We are an Amazon Associate and we earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us to develop and improve the service provided by our website.
You can also support the development of our community pages & groups by making a donation to us.
Follow Us: Pinterest Follow @ColneTalk